Latest Results

Alloa Athlectic 2 Peterhead 1

Sat 27 Aug 2011

John Sheran takes his side into the international break knowing there is work to be done after they were brought back to earth by Alloa Athletic.

The Blue Toon travelled to Recreation Park looking to build on a first league win of the season, but ended up with nothing despite taking a lead into the interval.

Sheran stuck by the starting eleven that had beaten East Stirlingshire, with Bryan Deasley fit to play despite picking up a slight back strain against the Shire.

And at times during the first half against Paul Hartley's side, they were full of promise. Sharp passing and a will to get forward gave them chances.

The first fell to Deasley after 10 minutes, but Wasps goalkeeper Scott Bain was untroubled by his long range effort.

Three minutes later, former Celtic and East Stirling man Kevin Cawley tested Raymond Jellema with a shot to the near post but the former Wasps goalkeeper reacted well to save.

With both sides playing a 4-5-1 formation, they were having trouble making the ball stick in the final third so it was the half-hour before either goal was really put under threat again, but it was to prove fruitful for the Blue Toon.

Deasley's probing run was ended by a push 20 yards from goal, and from a central position, top scorer Rory McAllister smashed through the wall and into the corner of the net for his fifth goal of the season.

Cawley came close to levelling within a minute, peeling towards the near post to head Mark Docherty's cross only for Jellema to push wide.

But the striker was on target less than thirty seconds into the second half.  The ball was slipped down the outside of Barry Sellars and Cawley raced onto it, drawing Jellema out before firing across the helpless goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net.

There were chances at either end, Donald's cross from the left going wide off Dave Ross' foot, before Jellema plucked a Cawley scissors-kick out of the air from a Graeme Holmes cross.

But Alloa had been boosted by their leveller, and went ahead midway through the half, with Cawley again doing the damage.

This time it was a solo effort, sparked by a fine run down the left channel, before he used Alan Rattray as a shield to curl a high effort beyond Jellema.

Martin Bavidge saw Bain push over as his looping header from another Donald cross as Peterhead looked to draw level again.

And perhaps they thought their luck was starting to turn when, after Ross McCord had gone down under Rattray's challenge, referee Barry Cook waved play on.

However, a Deasley volley from sub Graeme Sharp's cross was their only chance in the closing minutes, and his wild strike summed up another frustrating day at the office for Sheran's men.

ALLOA ATHLETIC: Scott Bain, Michael Doyle, Mark Docherty, Ben Gordon, Ryan Harding, Darren Young (Ryan Caddis, 75), Peter Innes, Ryan McCord, Kevin Cawley, Graeme Holmes, Ross McCord (Campbell, 83). Subs not used: Armand One, Mark McCullagh, Craig McDowall (gk).

Booked: Innes.

PETERHEAD: Raymond Jellema, Davie Donald, Roy McBain, Barry Sellars, Alan Rattray, Lewis Davidson (Callum Macdonald, 55), Dave Ross (Graeme Sharp, 75), Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister, Martin Bavidge (Aaron Conway, 75), Bryan Deasley. Subs not used: Dennis Wyness, Neil Duffy (gk).

Booked: Donald, Rattray, McAllister.

Attendance: 509.