Latest Results

Peterhead 1 Elgin City 3

Sat 10 Sep 2011

Two former Blue Toon men were prominent as Elgin City condemned John Sheran's men to a fourth defeat in five league games this season.

Craig Gunn netted the opener for the visitors, and Daniel Moore set up two further goals as Ross Jack's men climbed to the top of the table.

Barry Sellars pulled a goal back for Peterhead just after the interval, but they were unable to close the gap further despite enjoying much of the possession in the second half.

Sellars was playing in a more customary midfield role as Peterhead looked to kick-start their season, and there were four changes to the starting eleven.

Out went Lewis Davidson, Dave Ross, Martin Bavidge and Bryan Deasley, their places taken by Callum Macdonald, Dennis Wyness, Paul Watson and new loan signing Garry Wood.

But Elgin were ahead after just four minutes, as Gunn returned to haunt his former side.  He took a Moore throw-in in his stride, striding past Alan Rattray and sliding a low shot into the corner of Raymond Jellema's goal.

And if the first goal had been the result of poor defending, the second compounded rubbed salt in a fresh wound.

Rattray was again found wanting as Mark Nicolson peeled off him and rose unchallenged to meet Moore's corner to double his side's advantage with just eight minutes gone.

It was a nightmare start for Peterhead, but it could have been so different had Jamie Duff's challenge on Wyness been deemed worthy of a penalty as the former Aberdeen and Hearts man thought.

It was McAllister's former Brechin team-mate Jamie Redman who forced Elgin keeper Zander Clark into action for the first time, his low shot turned wide by the goalkeeper.

Wyness curled an effort wide from the edge of the area, before McAllister saw a diving header from a Watson corner crash back off the crossbar.

By this stage, Elgin had lost top scorer Gunn to injury, but they would add a third on the stroke of half-time.

Moore was again the provider, swinging in a free-kick from the left, from which Jamie Duff got in front of Macdonald to head past the helpless Raymond Jellema.

The second half was only a matter of seconds old when Peterhead pulled one back. Sellars' free-kick looked more of a cross than an attempt at goal, but evaded everyone as it found the back of the net.

And the ball was in the net again when substitute Deasley found Wood, but the on-loan Ross County man was flagged offside as he turned home left-footed.

The impressive Moore would go into the book for a foul on another sub, Graeme Sharp, with just under 15 minutes remaining, and that would prove costly for the Elgin winger.

With just two minutes left on the clock, he was deemed by referee Paul Robertson to be guilty of timewasting, and was shown a second yellow and the inevitable red followed.

There was one final chance for Peterhead as Macdonald saw his header held by Clark, but it was a comfortable and deserved win for Jack's man.

PETERHEAD: Raymond Jellema, Davie Donald, Roy McBain, Barry Sellars, Callum Macdonald, Alan Rattray, Dennis Wyness (Bryan Deasley, 64), Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister, Garry Wood (Martin Bavidge, 72), Paul Watson (Graeme Sharp, 55). Subs not used: Ross, Duffy (gk).

Booked: McBain, Redman, McAllister, Watson, Deasley.

ELGIN CITY: Zander Clark, David Niven, Archie McPhee (Blair Lawrie, 60), Paul Kaczan, Jamie Duff, Graeme Beveridge, Craig Gunn (Craig Frizzel, 40), Brian Cameron, Stuart Leslie, Mark Nicolson, Daniel Moore. Subs not used: Zander Jack, Ciaron McLean.

Booked: Moore. Sent off: Moore.

Attendance: 596