Latest Results

Dominant Peterhead leave it late to defeat resolute Annan

Sat 24 Mar 2018

Team-mates surround matchwinner Stevenson after his late decisive goal Team-mates surround matchwinner Stevenson after his late decisive goal


By Glenn Moir


It might have been a cross-come-shot or perhaps it was a cracking, curling effort.

But whether or not Jamie Stevenson’s 83rd minute goal was meant is completely irrelevant.  

What really matters is that Peterhead eventually got over the line against Annan and the victory was fully merited.

With League 2 title rivals Montrose failing to pick up points against Clyde, it would have been painful had the deadlock not been broken at Balmoor.

The Blue Toon tried everything in the first half but they came up against an inspired Alex Mitchell, who pulled off several excellent saves.

Annan also defended resolutely and they had the woodwork to thank as well for getting into the interval all square.

Jack Leitch saw a half-volley superbly kept out by Mitchell in the 13th minute and midway through the first half, full back Scott Hooper somehow cleared with his head to keep out Allan Smith’s goalbound effort.

Rory McAllister smashed a 14 yard drive off the post and then Stevenson saw a drilled effort tipped around the post by Mitchell.

Other chances came and went for Peterhead and although they continued to dictate the play in the second period, Annan looked as though they might hold out and go back down the road with the unlikeliest of points.

However, Stevenson came up with the winner with seven minutes remaining, curling the ball inside the far corner from the right side of the penalty area.

Violent conduct from Peter Watson saw the Annan defender receive a straight red card with a minute remaining as the Blue Toon used their superior goal difference to go back above Montrose, who still have a game in hand.





  Stevenson Jas.Brown McCracken McIlduff


                            Gibson Ferry


                    Smith Jo.Brown Leitch