Latest Results

Late penalty costly for Blue Toon as Stenny win at Balmoor

Sat 11 Nov 2017

Jack Leitch scored Peterhead’s first equaliser but Stenhousemuir claimed a 3-2 win Jack Leitch scored Peterhead’s first equaliser but Stenhousemuir claimed a 3-2 win



By Glenn Moir


Twice Peterhead came from behind but a penalty in the closing stages meant their wretched record against Stenhousemuir continued.

Mark McGuigan won and converted the spot-kick in the 81st minute to end the Blue Toon’s three-match winning streak in League 2.

What made the outcome more frustrating for Jim McInally’s team was the results elsewhere, with the top two - Stirling Albion and Montrose - both dropping points.

Stenny, who went level with third-top Peterhead in the table, opened the scoring in the 13th minute.

Eddie Ferns skipped Jason Brown and stood up a cross to the back post for McGuigan, who stooped to head in from close range.

Midway through the half, Rory McAllister was unfortunate with a superbly-taken 25 yard free-kick, which rattled the frame of the goal. The ball hit the underside of the crossbar, rebounded off goalkeeper Chris Smith and went behind for a corner.

Jack Leitch was also denied by the woodwork at the start of the second half, the midfielder’s low shot from the left side of the penalty area striking the post.

But the lively Leitch did come up with the equaliser in the 53rd minute with a drive from just inside the penalty area, which squirmed under Smith.

Peterhead trailed again in the 71st minute after conceding another back post header. Jamie Longworth flighted a telling delivery for Mick Dunlop, who nodded past the helpless Greg Fleming.

Back came the hosts again seven minutes later. This time Willie Gibson swung over a fine free-kick and Jason Brown found himself unmarked to bury a six yard header into the net.

At that point, a win rather than a draw looked likely for Peterhead but a clumsy David McCracken challenge in the 81st minute put paid to their hopes. The Blue Toon skipper hauled down McGuigan, who dusted himself down to convert the resulting penalty.

Slack defending dearly cost Peterhead, who were not helped by some questionable calls by referee Scott Millar.

McAllister was denied, what appeared to be, a blatant penalty in the second period after a foul by Harry Paton, while Stenny’s Smith made a great finger-tip save and got a goal-kick for his troubles!


Ja.Brown Robertson McCracken McIlduff
           S.Brown Ferry Gibson Leitch
                    McLean McAllister