Latest Results

Maiden goal for Smith as Blue Toon claim comfortable win

Sat 12 Aug 2017

Allan Smith completes the scoring after Rory McAllister's first half double Allan Smith completes the scoring after Rory McAllister's first half double


By Glenn Moir


Three goals and three points for Peterhead, who strolled to victory over former Highland League rivals Elgin.

It usually takes time for the Blue Toon to get up and running in league business so two wins from two games is a more than decent start.

The Balmoor boys, who defeated Annan last weekend, will undoubtedly have tougher tests ahead but the signs are positive.

They enjoyed the lion's share of possession against Elgin and created plenty of chances, although their goals did come gift-wrapped.

Midway through the first half, Rory McAllister swept home from a tight angle after robbing Stephen Bronsky, who dithered on the ball in his own box.

Then, just as half time approached, the same players were involved again as the Blue Toon went further ahead.

McAllister, with his back to goal, fell to the ground under close attention from Bronsky. Referee Craig Charleston spotted a tug and the Peterhead striker sent Marc Waters the wrong way from the spot.

A two-goal interval lead was a fair reflection of Peterhead's superiority and they had Elgin camped inside their own half for most of the second period.

Scott Brown, who replaced Scott Ross at the break, nearly scored with a rising shot, which flew just over, and then Willie Gibson tested Waters with a well-struck free-kick.

It appeared only a matter of time before Elgin shipped a third and, sure enough, in the 58th minute they conceded, what Black and Whites manager Jim Weir branded, "an absolutely ridiculous goal which you would see in a playground."  

Actually his description of the opener was the exact same.

Waters attempted to launch the ball upfield with a clearance but, unaware Allan Smith was lurking, he kicked the ball straight into the former Dunfermline and Forfar forward. Smith then lashed into an empty net to score his first goal for the club.

The contest was well and truly over although Peterhead substitute Nicky Riley got a card to match the colour of Waters' face when he was sent off in the 77th minute.

Riley, unhappy at an earlier challenge from Thomas Reilly, got his marching orders for a poor tackle on the former St Mirren man.

But Riley's dismissal was the only low point as Peterhead defeated the Borough Briggs team 3-0 for the second time in a fortnight following their Betfred Cup victory.


Ja.Brown Ross McCracken Stevenson
             Robertson Ferry Leitch
            Smith McAllister Gibson