Latest Results

Redman's stoppage time equaliser stuns Stranraer

Sat 25 Mar 2017

By Glenn Moir

Only time will tell the significance of Jamie Redman's stoppage time equaliser against Stranraer.

The goal was fortuitous and timely but it was necessary to keep Peterhead in with a fighting chance of remaining in League 1.

Stranraer were quite rightly aggrieved that a corner was given the home team's way after Grant Anderson's initial set-piece appeared to go out off a colleague.

It was not an outright goal though and the visitors still had a chance to defend the second delivery.

They failed to do so as Redman got across his marker to head past Cammy Belford at the near post.

The celebrations from the home support were probably more of relief than joy or jubilation.

But the result still saw Peterhead plummet a place to ninth and, certainly prior to kick-off, a home draw against another team scrapping for survival would have been looked upon as another slip-up.

Wins, not draws, will keep Jim McInally's men up and they have six games remaining to muster enough points.

They got off to a positive start through Rory McAllister's eighth minute free-kick. From about 30 yards out, he smashed a low shot past Belford, who won't want to watch BlueToonTV for a re-run.

The shot was almost straight down the middle of the goal but Peterhead were guilty of not building on their opener.

Stranraer quickly set about getting back on level terms and they did so in the 18th minute when Craig Malcolm chased Liam Dick's long ball forward and clipped the ball past Graeme Smith.

Heads dropped and the confidence disappeared - and that was just the fans.

Therefore, it did not come as a major surprise when the Stair Park club scored again in the 24th minute and this time it was a well-worked goal.

Malcolm and the clever Scott Agnew combined and when the ball eventually found Scott Robertson on the right side of the penalty box, the full-back's 12 yard effort beat Smith and nestled into the net.

Peterhead survived a couple of scares to get to the interval at just one behind and they were better in the second period after a half-time dressing down from the management team.

That said, there were not too many signs of a leveller although Anderson was desperately unlucky with a shot from the edge of the penalty area that was blocked on the line by Steven Bell.

Just when Stevie Farrell's side thought they had done enough to make their long trip worthwhile, referee Graham Beaton awarded the home team a contentious corner with seconds remaining.

From Anderson's inswinger, Redman did well to meet the ball and guide it into the net to stop seventh-placed Stranraer pulling four points clear.

         Reid Gordon Ross Comrie
Anderson S.Brown Strachan Redman