Latest Results

Longworth provides Scottish Cup knock-out again

Sat 26 Nov 2016


By Glenn Moir


Two years ago, Peterhead exited the Scottish Cup at the third round stage to a solitary Jamie Longworth strike at Balmoor.

Well, the exact same thing happened today as Alloa, rather than Stranraer in 2014, scraped a 1-0 victory.

The Blue Toon had chances to come out on top in this tie but after failing to convert any of them, the writing was on the wall.

No question, Jim McInally's team will produce worse performances this season and win, although the former Morton boss later admitted his players need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

"Has it always got to be Rory?" said Jim, who wants others to take more responsibility in the final third.

Actually, McAllister did have one early sighter but the angle was very tight as he took the ball around Neil Parry and directed his effort into the side-netting.

Simon Ferry, at the back post, then saw a 27th minute shot blocked on the line by Ryan Hoggan and when the ball broke out to Nathan Blockley at the edge of the penalty area, his low drive was too hot to handle for Parry.

Graeme Smith was called into action to keep out Iain Flannigan's shot in the 36th minute before Greig Spence sent a free header straight at the home goalkeeper.

As half time approached, Leighton McIntosh ought to have given Peterhead the lead when he pounced on a mix-up in the visiting defence but Parry spread himself to block at the former Dundee forward's feet.

If that stop was impressive, his save two minutes after the interval was even better, diving at full-stretch to touch a 12 yard McAllister effort behind for a corner.

Parry's opposite number was as effective down the other end in the 63rd minute, tipping Jordan Kirkpatrick's clip around the post and from the resulting corner, Andy Graham glanced a header over.

Midway through second half, Mcinally was sent to the stand for talking out of turn.and his mood did not improve as subtitute Longworth came up with the key moment in the 74th minute.

The striker had only been on the pitch a short period of time when he drove a crisp 20 yard shot through the legs of a Peterhead defender beyond the outstretched Smith.

After a scramble in the box, the hosts thought they had levelled but Scott Brown's close-range shot hit McIntosh and somehow ended up over the crossbar.

Towering defender Fiacre Kelleher was thrown up front in the closing stages and the on loan Celtic youngster so nearly forced a replay, his effort deflecting behind for a corner after a neat turn in the box.

In the end, no goals for the home support to salute although a bizarre first half incident gave them something to cheer...a mid-air seagull being struck by the ball.

It was fine afterwards, the yellow Mitre that is.

Not entirely sure about the state of the bird though!

Stevenson Kelleher Ross Noble
      Blockley Ferry S.Brown
     McIntosh McAllister Riley