Latest Results

Blue Toon left frustrated by the Fifers

Sat 13 Aug 2016


By Glenn Moir


Jim McInally issued an apology to the Peterhead supporters after watching his team crash to a 3-0 defeat to League 1 newcomers East Fife.

Little wonder the Blue Toon manager was frustrated - his team conceded all three goals from set pieces, not for the first time this season and it's only mid August.

Peterhead saw as much of the ball as East Fife but they failed to muster much in an attacking sense. In fact, Willie Muir in the visitng goal was a virtual spectator.

The players' plan, no doubt, was to start on the front foot and try and put a couple of heavy defeats to Alloa and Rangers behind them.

Instead, they found themselves behind after just five minutes and it was avoidable.

Charging off his goal-line, Graeme Smith thought he could deal with Mark Lamont's corner. However, Jason Kerr beat him to the ball and the big defender steered an eight yard header into an empty net.

Had Jamie Redman levelled in the 15th minute, the outcome might have been different. But his header from Steven Noble's corner was cleared off the line by Scott Robinson.

One down at the break would not have been a disaster. However, the Blue Toon let in a morale-sapping second just before half time.

They were again vulnerable dealing with Lamont's corner, which was needlessly conceded by Fiacre Kelleher.

The delivery found its way to the back post for the unmarked Kevin Smith, who nodded past Graeme Smith from close range.

Leighton McIntosh, on early for the injured Jamie Stevenson, had a half chance near the beginning of the second period when he chased down a long Kevin Dzierzawski pass.

McIntosh used his pace to get to the ball before the onrushing Muir, who had come scampering off his line, but he was unable to direct his effort on target.

Jordon Brown and Salim Nassor were introduced from the bench but they were unable to perk up Peterhead, who conceded a third in the 66th minute.

Again Lamont was over the ball. Again it resulted in a goal.

This time, his free-kick from down beside the corner flag flashed past a ruck of bodies and the ball ended up in the net.

The game was up. There was no way back in this match.

There is, however, plenty of time to recover from a shaky start to the season.


      Strachan Ross Kelleher Noble
Stevenson Ferry Dzierzawski Redman
                   McAllister Riley