Latest Results

Blue Toon go second after Ayr victory

Sat 06 Feb 2016

Peterhead boss Jim McInally was delighted after his men maintained their magnificent form to defeat Ayr and rise to second in League 1.

Shane Sutherland's sumptuous free-kick gave the Blue Toon the lead midway through the first half at Somerset Park.

It did not take long for Craig Moore to level for the hosts but as half time approached, Rory McAllister scored what proved to be the winner. 

Scott Ross was harshly sent off in stoppage time as the visitors leapfrogged their opponents in the table.

Speaking exclusively to, McInally commented: "It was a right good game."

"The pitch meant there was not a lot of football played but it was two teams having a go, with a lot of tough tackling and plenty of action."

"I actually felt we should have buried Ayr in the first half and we were also denied a stonewall penalty."

"Shane scored a great goal and was terrific for us again, as was Simon Ferry, but I don't really like to single players out when all lads put in a great shift and showed a great attitude."

"I felt the referee's decision to send off Scott Ross was absolutely shocking.  You know I don't always stick up for Scott when I think he has done wrong, but he made a great challenge and somehow got a second yellow."

"But I don't want that to spoil our day.  To go second is remarkable considering where we were a few months ago."

Peterhead were in front in the 22nd minute with red hot Sutherland continuing his excellent form.  The former Elgin forward found the top corner with a superbly executed free kick.

Sutherland went close to netting again almost immediately and Ayr made the most of the reprieve by hauling themselves level in the 25th minute.  Ex Motherwell youngster Moore rifled a shot from inside the penalty area beyond Graeme Smith.

With their lethal front two, the Blue Toon always carried a threat and they restored their advantage four minutes before the break.  Jamie Adams lost possession for the hosts in midfield and when Kevin Dzierzawski picked out McAllister, he drove a low shot from a tight angle into the corner of the net. 

Determined to hold on to their lead, McInally's men did well to keep their opponents at arms length in the second period, with Smith largely untroubled.

Ross saw red in stoppage time after the official Alan Muir deemed his challenge on Alan Forrest to be worthy of a second yellow card. However, Peterhead saw out the remaining seconds to pick up another three points.



Strachan Ross GIlchrist Noble

   Dzierzawski Ferry Redman

  Brown McAllister Sutherland