Latest Results

Stevenson rocket as Blue Toon start 2016 in style

Sat 02 Jan 2016

First footing, hungover or the inclement weather were probably amongst the excuses for those who skipped Peterhead's maiden League 1 fixture of 2016.  
But the 588 hardy souls, who were in attendance at Balmoor, were treated to a trio of early Goal of the Year contenders and another great three points for a reshuffled Blue Toon, who won their third match on the bounce.
The two Jamies, Redman and Stevenson, slotted into an unfamiliar defence and were outstanding at both ends, each getting on the scoresheet.
Redman's opener came in the fifth minute.  The former Brechin player got on the end of Shane Sutherland's inswinging free-kick to send a glancing header high into the net.
Sutherland was involved again moments later, linking with Jordon Brown, who picked out Kevin Dzierzawski but his 14 yard effort missed the target.
Playing against the wind, Peterhead kept their focus despite floodlight issues causing a brief stoppage in play, as Stevenson hooked a Euan Murray header off the line in the 29th minute.
When the visitors did draw level, there was not too much that could have been done to stop it.  Alan Cook smashed a left foot from 30 yards in off the upright in the 33rd minute.  
It was a fantastic goal but Peterhead could have restored their lead before the interval when Rory McAllister blazed over after taking a neat touch from a fine Simon Ferry pass.
Conditions favoured the hosts in the second half and might have influenced Stevenson's decision to shoot from so far out in the 53rd minute.  
Last season's PFC Player of the Year was around 35 yards from goal when he unleashed a rocket, which flew past Matty Gould and into the top corner.
Enough to warm up any of the home fans on a dreadful afternoon of weather.
Soon after, and very much in the mood, Stevenson tried his luck with a couple of long-range free-kicks, which had to be closely watched by the Stenny goalkeeper but the Blue Toon scored a killer third goal in the 77th minute.
The impressive Sutherland played a clever one-two with McAllister and after his shot was well saved by Gould, McAllister was on hand to dispatch the rebound from inside the penalty area.
There was still time for one more screamer as Dzierzawski rifled a thunderous 22 yard shot high into the net with eight minutes remaining.
Happy New Year!


Stevenson Strachan Gilchrist Redman
               Dzierzawski  Ferry
     Sutherland  McAllister  Riley