Latest Results

Rory scores again as Blue Toon draw again

Tue 17 Nov 2015

Maybe not that big a surprise it finished honours even with Stranraer, as this was Peterhead's seventh draw of the League 1 season already.

Even less of a shock was that Rory McAllister scored their goal to cancel out Craig Malcolm's early penalty.  He's now netted 19 times this term, 11 in the league, 
In truth, this game will be remembered most for the faulty floodlights, which threatened to abandon the contest, although Blue Toon manager Jim McInally admitted his team did not function properly either.  
McInally said: "We were poor and I was so disappointed with the performance.  We are a gutsy enough team and I think that is why we have managed to draw some games but from the very start, we were never at it."
"We still had the best chances in the game but it was not good enough.  It was probably a good draw overall, with the lights flashing and how we played."
Changes in personnel and formation did not go to plan in a flat display and Stranraer took advantage to go in front with a 13th minute penalty.
Teenager Jassem Sukar was punished for pulling back Argentine striker Luciano Nequecaur in the box and Malcolm converted from the spot, despite Graeme Smith diving the right way.
McAllister curled a free-kick into the side-netting in the 31st minute after he was fouled by Ryan Thomson.  It was a decent attempt but he was more accurate with his next one just before half time.
Cammy Kerr was brought down by Liam Dick 22 yards from goal and this time McAllister opted for power. His well-struck low shot arrowed inside the far corner, although visiting goalkeeper David McGurn may feel he could have done better.
Peterhead threatened most down the right with Kerr delivering a couple of dangerous crosses early in the second half.  His first was narrowly missed by Andy Rodgers and McAllister, and then his second should have been finished off by McAllister, who missed the target with a back post effort.
Referee Craig Charleston was not a popular figure with the home fans in the first half for some of his decison-making, but the official does deserve credit for not hastily bringing a halt to proceedings when the floodlights began to dim in the second half.
On several occasions, he consulted with both managers over whether to continue the match.  They agreed to carry on, although had Stranraer not made such a long trip to the north east, Brian Reid's verdict might have been different.
Reid almost regretted his decision when Nathan Blockley rattled the woodwork with a fine 20 yard in the closing stages.  McGurn did not see it. Literally.
But it finished 1-1, which was probably fair given the circumstances.