Latest Results

Hampden history makers as Peterhead reach first ever final

Sat 14 Nov 2015

A historic afternoon at Hampden saw Peterhead defeat Queen's Park to reach the Petrofac Training Cup final.

Never before have the Blue Toon reached a national final so this was an unforgettable day for the Blue Toon, who joined the Scottish Football League in 2000.
No surprise that Rory McAllister was on the scoresheet.  He's netted in every round so far including a famous five at Falkirk but the match-winner was Leighton McIntosh, who has a knack of coming up with important goals.
Now for a five month wait for the showpiece against opponents still to be confirmed and a venue yet to be decided.  Peterhead do know they will meet either Rangers at the national stadium or St Mirren at McDiarmid Park in April.
Manager Jim McInally told "It feels great to be in a final and I am so happy for the chairman and the directors and, of course, the supporters."
"We had a good number following us down to Hampden today and I hate disappointing people so I am glad they will have a good night tonight after this result."
"The team did not play particularly well and I had a right go at the lads at half time because I felt Queen's Park's shape was better than ours even though we were not troubled too much."
After losing three semi finals during his reign as Morton boss, this was fourth time lucky for McInally, whose team denied Queen's Park a first final in 115 years.
The Peterhead boss continued: "Semi-finals are only nice occasions if you win and although we were by no means at our best today, the players deserve so much credit for getting to a national final."
"When you think of all the clubs who started this competition in July, it is a great achievement and we look forward to playing either Rangers or St Mirren.  For the club financially, Rangers at Hampden would be fantastic but St Mirren in Perth would also be great." 
In front of a crowd of 917, McAllister broke the deadlock in the 17th minute with a free-kick.  The striker was fouled 22 yards from goal and smashed a low shot past Willie Muir and into the net.
Their lead lasted six minutes as Queen's Park drew level from the penalty spot.  Sean Burns was upended by Scott Ross and Paul Woods made no mistake from the spot.
However, McInally's men did not take long to restore their advantage and it was from another set-piece.  Kevin Dzierzawski whipped in a free-kick from the left and McIntosh fired in from a difficult angle from the opposite side.  
Jordon Brown almost made it three while Ryan McGeever, formerly on loan at Balmoor, went close for the Spiders with a header just before half time.
Gus MacPherson's League 2 team had a good spell at the start of the second period but Peterhead were never under too much pressure and Graeme Smith was rarely tested.
In fact, Brown had an opportunity to seal the win as the Blue Toon appeared content to soak up the pressure and hit their opponents on the counter attack.
Jamie McKernon gave the travelling fans a late scare with a well struck shot, which shaved the outside of the post but that was about as uncomfortable as it got.
Joe Bradley was then dismissed in stoppage time for speaking out of turn to referee Don Robertson, who blew his whistle seconds later to spark scenes of jubilation amongst the Peterhead faithful.