Latest Results

Peterhead spooked by Stenny

Sat 31 Oct 2015

Peterhead threw away a three goal lead to leave Ochilview empty handed after Stenhousemuir produced an amazing turnaround.

Rory McAllister should have made the headlines for his superb first half hat-trick but instead it was veteran Jason Scotland, who stole the show after inspiring the Warriors fightback.

It seemed almost certain the points would head back to the north east given how the opening period panned out with McAllister, aided by Nicky Riley, running riot.

Riley took a great first touch to bomb away from his marker in the 13th minute and he squared for McAllister. The striker still had a lot to do as he shifted the ball on to his left foot and drove a low 18 yard shot inside the far corner.

When Stuart Malcolm fouled McAllister 20 yards out in the 31st minute, there were further problems for the hosts as the Peterhead talisman bent his free kick over the wall and into the net. 

Jamie Barclay might have done better although the goalkeeper did make amends with a stunning save from another McAllister free-kick in the second half.

The first half action was far from over though, with McAllister winning and converting a penalty in the 38th minute after more rash defending from Malcolm.

It looked three and easy for the Blue Toon but a Graeme Smith error two minutes from half time turned the match completely on its head.

His poor clearance landed for Colin McMenamin, who in fairness, still had an awful lot to do as he superbly lofted the ball from 35 yards over Smith's head and into an unguarded net.

From a Peterhead perspective, danger was beginning to be sensed when McMenamin's overhead kick was brilliantly kept out by Smith at the start of the second half and in the 59th minute, the hosts were right back in the contest.

The Blue Toon defence failed to clear the ball in the box and when it broke to Scotland, the 36 year old slotted home from close range to cut the deficit to one.

Alan Cook then glanced a header wide but it was not all one way traffic with McAllister going close with a curling effort from just outside the box and then he saw a shot cleared off the line by Jim Paterson after rounding the keeper.

However, Stenny were back on level terms in the 66th minute with the goal of the match from Scotland. The former Swansea man collected a pass 20 yards out and burst forward to unleash a fierce left foot shot which flew into the top corner.

There was not too much Peterhead could have done to prevent that piece of quality but the visitors were most definitely on the ropes and so it was not a huge shock that Stenny scored again two minutes later.

This time the goal was preventable as Kieran Millar waltzed through the defence to slot the ball past Smith from 10 yards.

Now trailing, a shellshocked Peterhead went all out attack in the closing stages with sub Leighton McIntosh posing problems with his pace and power.

Shane Sutherland was also introduced from the bench but Jim McInally's men could find no way through a defence, which had been so creaky before the break.

It turned out to be a very frustrating afternoon for the Blue Toon, summed up by Cammy Kerr's dismissal in stoppage time for a lunge on Fraser Eddington.

A nightmare for Peterhead on Halloween.