Latest Results

Peterhead 2 Elgin City 1

Sat 04 Jan 2014

The New Year started in positive fashion for the Blue Toon, after an injury time winner sealed a dramatic comeback against Elgin City, and extended the gap at the top of the League Two table to five points.

It gives Jim McInally’s men something of a buffer ahead of their rivals, but it was heavy weather against a City side whose battling qualities belied their league standing.

Indeed, Peterhead had to claw back the early deficit David Niven’s crisp strike had handed them. Graeme Sharp levelled before Jamie Redman netted in injury time to earn the home side the points.

With on-loan defender Reece Donaldson having been recalled by parent club Raith Rovers, Sharp’s inclusion after a hip injury was the only change to the side that had beaten Berwick Rangers and had not been defeated in the previous eight games.

But if Peterhead expected an easy ride against Ross Jack’s men, they were in for a rude awakening.

Although Andy Rodgers fired wide in the opening stages, and defender Jamie Duff sliced a Sharp cross narrowly beyond his own upright, the visitors took the lead after 13 minutes.

Paul Harkins’ inswinging corner from the left caused problems for the Blue Toon defence, and when Bryan Gilfillan was unable to stretch to clear Mark Nicolson’s knockdown, captain David Niven lashed high into the net from six yards.

Rory McAllister had scored five goals in his last two games, and he was inches away from connecting with Redman’s cross after 19 minutes.

Ryan McCann

The striker came close again when, after a neat exchange with Rodgers, he worked an opening but former Blue Toon goalkeeper Ray Jellema was equal to his effort.

McInally’s men were asserting themselves well at this stage, and Gilfillan will feel he should have done better after shooting wide from Sharp’s neat pass shortly before the interval.

A strong crowd of 737 had turned out on a relatively pleasant day, and they were rewarded as the two sides served up an entertaining start to the second half.
From end to end the play raged, and both sides looked equally capable of scoring – or indeed losing a goal.

There were no takers for Ryan McCann’s delightful pass across the six-yard box at one end, while Shane Sutherland really should have scored at the other after Craig Gunn had picked him out.

Graeme Smith in the Peterhead goal was a relieved man as Sutherland’s effort lacked the conviction required.

Another former Blue Toon man, Dennis Wyness, followed team-mate Duff into the book when he went down under the attentions of Dean Cowie. The midfielder hadn’t gotten too close to the ex-Aberdeen and Hearts man, though, and referee Mat Northcroft booked Wyness for a dive.

Harkins brought another fine stop out of Smith, before more good link-up play between strikers Rodgers and McAllister allowed the latter to curl an effort from the edge of the area towards goal. Jellema stood firm, though, and clutched the strike to his chest.

There was a sense a a goal was coming at one end or the other, and after 63 minutes, the net was indeed bulging – and Peterhead were level.

McAllister flicked Steven Noble’s throw into the path of Jamie Redman and he picked the perfect time to roll the ball into the path of right-back Sharp. His angled drive took a touch off Nicolson on the way in, but left Jellema well beaten.

The goal took the sting out the play to some extent, with Elgin starting to play more of a containing game, not committing too many forward for fear of losing what they had.

Peterhead’s hopes were dealt a blow when McAllister hobbled off with twenty minutes left, but his strike partner certainly stepped up to the mark

Rodgers chased down Smith’s long clearance on the left and cut inside Duff, resisting the opportunity to go down after the defender tugged his shirt, before curling towards goal with Jellema stretching out a hand to divert the effort away.

Jamie Redman celebrates

Rodgers is capable of the spectacular and it would have taken something in the vein of his stunning overhead kick against East Stirling to turn home Gilfillan’s ball two minutes from the end of regulation time. He threw himself at the ball, but couldn’t get the desired contact to test the goalkeeper.

More used to finding the net, the maverick hit-man had to settle for a supporting role in the winning goal.

It was a goal that typified the grit and determination that have put the Blue Toon in the position they are in. Two minutes into injury time and looking all set for a share of the spoils, captain Noble dispossessed Gunn, allowing Gilfillan to slip a ball forward.

McCann’s clever flick helped Rodgers get on the end of the pass, and Jamie Redman showed the heart of a lion to get in front of Paul McMullan and turn the ball home.
His energetic celebrations showed just what it meant to the hard-working midfielder, and his team-mates swamped him.

As if the ex-Brechin City man hadn’t made enough of a contribution, he ended the game with a black eye, having collided with team-mate Scott Ross as those in the blue shirts threw themselves in front of everything their opponents could send their way in the dying seconds.

It was tough and towsy at times, but effective, and the Blue Toon certainly earned their rewards.

PETERHEAD: Graeme Smith, Graeme Sharp, Steven Noble, Ryan McCann (Kevin Buchan, 90), Scott Ross, Dean Cowie, Andy Rodgers (Conner McGlinchey, 90), Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister (Jordon Brown, 70), Bryan Gilfillan, Ryan Strachan. Subs not used: Greg Alexander, Paul Jarvie (gk).

Booked: Gilfillan.

ELGIN CITY: Ray Jellema, David Niven, Paul McMullan, Sean Crighton, Jamie Duff, Mark Nicolson, Craig Gunn, Paul Harkins, Dennis Wyness, Shane Sutherland, Sam Urquhart. Subs not used: Ally McKenzie, Graeme Beveridge, Adam McLeod, Ross McKinnon, Connor McAulay, Stewart Black (gk).

Booked: Duff, Wyness, Gunn, Nicolson.

Attendance: 737