Latest Results

Queen's Park 0 Peterhead 5

Mon 25 Nov 2013

The Blue Toon belatedly recorded their first clean sheet of the season against Queen’s Park, but the real story was at the other end, where ruthless finishing saw them put five past Spiders goalkeeper Lucas Birnstingl.

Andy Rodgers led the way, netting either side of Graeme Sharp’s first goal of the season. Bryan Gilfillan notched the fourth, and Rory McAllister rounded out the scoring six minutes from time.

On-loan Raith Rovers man Reece Donaldson continued after impressing on his debut last Saturday, but played to the left of Craig Tully in the back three, accommodating the return of Scott Ross on the right.

That meant Dean Richardson dropped to the bench, with captain Steven Noble restored to his more familiar left wing-back position. Dean Cowie returned to the midfield in place of Jordon Brown.

The Blue Toon were on the front foot almost from the off, but it took 25 minutes for the first goal to arrive.

When it did, though, it was worth the wait. Rodgers has clearly found focus and form in recent weeks, and from Sharp’s left-wing corner, he peeled away from his marker at the front post, before deftly flicking beyond goalkeeper Lucas Birnstingl.

It was 2-0 eight minutes from the interval. Sean Burns lost out under the pressure of Donaldson and Jamie Redman, allowing Sharp to pick up the ball ten yards inside his own half.

Andy Rodgers

He played a pass into the feet of Rodgers, before Dean Cowie slipped a superb ball back into the path of Sharp, who had continued his run down the right. The wing-back steadied himself before sliding a low shot under the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net from 15 yards.

The amateur side had struggled to put Graeme Smith’s goal under any pressure in the first half, but David Gold did his best to change that as he picked the pocket of Gilfillan on the touchline before sending a shot narrowly wide of the target.

The Blue Toon have a tradition of netting superb goals at the National Stadium, and that was to continue as Rodgers curled home the third.

The ball broke kindly for the ex-Falkirk striker after Redman’s black-tackle on Michael Keenan, and from the left-corner of the area, he sent a superb effort beyond a helpless Birnstingl.

The goalkeeper had been helpless for the three goals so far, but was found wanting when Gilfillan bagged Peterhead’s fourth of the afternoon.

The Canadian raced from his line to clear Donaldson’s high ball away from the head of the ruthless Rodgers, but didn’t get enough on his punch and left Gilfillan with the simplest of tasks to find the net from 15 yards.

Smith was called into action to turn away Blair Spittal’s low strike, but the Toon were to go nap with six minutes remaining.

Cowie was again involved, seizing upon Bernard Coll’s loose pass before playing a neat reverse into the path of McAllister, who held his run to beat the offside trap, and steered low across the goalkeeper, for his eighth goal of the campaign.

The three points lift Peterhead to within a point of the playoff places, and just three points from the summit of League Two.

QUEEN’S PARK: Lucas Birnstingl, David Gold, Bernard Coll, Ross Fisher, Ricki Lamie (Scott Gibson, 84), Michael Keenan, Liam Gormley, David Anderson, Tony Quinn (Lee Davison, 67), Blair Spittal, Sean Burns (Thomas Collins, 46). Subs not used: Paul Gallacher, Connor McVey, Shaun Rooney, Blair Lochhead (gk).

Booked: Lamie.

PETERHEAD: Graeme Smith, Graeme Sharp, Steven Noble, Reece Donaldson (Dean Richardson, 80), Scott Ross, Dean Cowie, Andy Rodgers (Fraser McLaren, 68), Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister, Bryan Gilfillan (Jordon Brown, 63), Craig Tully. Subs not used: Ryan McCann, Kevin Buchan, Conner McGlinchey, Paul Jarvie (gk).

Booked: Gilfillan, Donaldson, Ross.

Attendance: 447