Latest Results

Berwick Rangers 2 Peterhead 1

Sun 06 Oct 2013

Rory McAllister Rory McAllister

Peterhead’s involvement in this year’s William Hill Scottish Cup ended at the first hurdle after Berwick Rangers hit back from behind to seal a 2-1 win over the ten-man Blue Toon.

Rory McAllister had opened the scoring after 32 minutes, but Darren Lavery restored parity shoertly after the interval. The hosts then took full advantage of David Cox’s red card when Kenny O’Brien struck five minutes from the end of the game to seal their place in Round Three.

The Blue Toon made three changes from the side that had beaten Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill seven days previously, with Graeme Sharp, Bryan Gilfillan and Dean Cowie dropping out, the latter to the bench.

In came Conner McGlinchey, Jordon Brown and Andy Rodgers, giving a distinct attacking feel to the Blue Toon lineup.

Without on-loan Hibs goalkeeper Paul Grant, the home side handed Billy Bald a debut and he was called into early action to claim Rodgers’ long distance strike.

It was the home side who would create the better chances in the early stages, with man of many clubs Scott Dalziel sending a header wide of the target.

Cox picked up his first booking for a foul on Steven Notman, before  the Berwick midfielder came close with an effort wide of the upright.

Just before the half-hour, Lavery crashed a 25-yard effort off the bar after a clever combination with Dalziel, but the deadlock would soon be broken by the Blue Toon.

Rodgers flicked a neat pass into the feet of McAllister, and the striker sent a stunning, curling strike from the edge of the box beyond the flailing Bald and into the net.

The goal stunned the visitors who didn’t look like finding a way back level before the interval, but they came out for the second half with all guns blazing.

Their reward came after 53 minutes. Lavery picked the ball up on the right and worked his way into the penalty area before angling a drive across Smith and into the net.

Jamie Redman forced Bald into another good save with a header as Peterhead sought to regain the initiative, but their task was made all the harder when Cox was sent packing for a second booking, after bringing down substitute O’Brien.

And the Berwick winger would have a further say in the outcome of the match, as he ended a swift counter attack, squaring for Lavery.

Lavery saw his shot blocked by Smith but O’Brien was alert and drove home to seal Berwick’s place in the draw which will be made on Monday.

BERWICK RANGERS: Billy Bald, Devon Jacobs, Dean Hoskins, Mick Dunlop, Stephen Tulloch, Damien Gielty, Neil Janczyk, Steven Notman, Scott Dalziel, Darren Lavery (Josh Morris, 88), Ross Gray (Kenny O’Brien, 72). Subs not used:Dean Carse, Ben Miller, Gary O’Connor (gk).

Booked: Tulloch, Hoskins, Janczyk.

PETERHEAD: Graeme Smith, Conner McGlinchey, Steven Noble, Ryan McGeever, Scott Ross (Dean Richardson, 79), Jordon Brown (Dean Cowie, 62), David Cox, Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister, Andy Rodgers (Ryan McCann, 73), Fraser McLaren. Subs not used: Kevin Buchan, Ewen Macdonald (gk).

Booked: Cox, Redman, Richardson.

Sent off: Cox.

Attendance: 356