Latest Results

Peterhead 3 Aberdeen 2

Thu 25 Jul 2013

Peterhead's pre-season preparations were wrapped up in style, as they saw off SPFL Premiership side Aberdeen to lift the Scottish Week Challenge Cup.

Rory McAllister and former Don Jordon Brown were on target for Jim McInally's side, the latter netting a brace of headers against the side who released him at the start of the summer.

At 3-0 it seemed the Blue Toon were on easy street, but they had to weather a comeback; Barry Robson's free-kick gave the visitors hope before half-time, and Niall McGinn's penalty ensured a nervy ending.

With a Ramsden's Cup clash against Brechin City kicking off the competitive action on Saturday, McInally was keen to avoid injuries, although he named a strong side. Andy Rodgers was unavailable, and Bryan Gilfillan offshore through his work.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the early stages, with the Blue Toon clearly out to impress against their neighbours.

It was after 24 minutes that they took the lead. McAllister was bundled over by Russell Anderson, and the ever-confident hitman stepped up to send former Man City goalkeeper Nicky Weaver the wrong way from 12 yards.

Aberdeen had shown little threat despite naming what was a credible starting lineup, though Josh Magennis flashed a header wide from a Robson free kick moments after the goal.

But if the Dons had designs on levelling quickly, they were in for a quite a surprise.

McAllister could have doubled the advantage when he beat the offside trap to advance on Weaver, but frustratingly tried to chip the goalkeeper and made it easy for the veteran to save.

The Blue Toon would not be denied for long, though, and when David Cox clipped a cross into the middle of the penalty area after 33 minutes, Brown got in front of the defence to head home a goal he is likely to remember.

And Aberdeen simply refused to learn their lesson. Three minutes later Cox was again the supplier, this time from a corner. He found Brown at the back post, and the midfielder nodded his second of the evening.

The visitors would pull a goal back before the break, though. Jonny Hayes drove at the home defence and was taken out by a strong Scott Ross challenge. Robson, so dangerous from set pieces, stepped up and sent a deflected effort past Graeme Smith to hand his side a lifeline.

Magennis and Anderson were withdrawn at the interval, and with McGinn now in attack, they looked to pose a different threat in the second half.

They began to come more and more into the game, and with Craig Murray pushing forward from right-back, seemed to have more width than in the first half. That said, creating clear chances was proving to be tricky and it took until Murray set up Pawlett after 72 minutes. The winger, though, sent his effort over the bar.

When McInnes' men did haul themselves right back into the match, it came from the spot. Hayes was again the dangerman, and when he was tugged back by Graeme Sharp, there was no doubt that referee Stephen Finnie would point to the spot.

He did, and McGinn coolly produced a carbon-copy of McAllister's earlier spot kick at the same end, to bring the score back to 3-2.

Try as they might, Aberdeen simply couldn't find the cutting edge to level the scores in the remaining 16 minutes of the game, though Hayes struck the inside of the post with a low shot that had Smith scrambling across his goal.

PETERHEAD: Smith, Sharp, Noble, Strachan, Ross, Cowie, Cox, Redman, McAllister, Brown, McCann. Subs: McGlinchey, Trialist (Dean Richardson), Trialist (Ryan McStay), Alexander, Fitzgerald, Jarvie (gk)

ABERDEEN: Weaver, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Reynolds, Robertson, Pawlett, Jack, Robson, Hayes, Magennis, Vernon. Subs: Murray, McKenna, Storie, Masson, Low, McGinn, Shankland, Langfield (gk)

Attendance: 1901