Latest Results

Clyde 0 Peterhead 2

Mon 20 Aug 2012

A typically opportunistic goal from veteran Robbie Winters and a Rory McAllister penalty saw Peterhead ease to victory against Clyde at Alloa’s Recreation Park.

The Blue Toon were under the cosh for large parts of the game, but Winters put them ahead with a superb 30-yard lob after a defensive mix-up, and McAllister bagged a second from the penalty spot after Jamie Redman had been bundled over.

With Graeme Sharp unavailable due to getting married, Ross Smith returned to the starting eleven in an unaccustomed right wing-back role, but any concerns about the on-loan Dundee United centre-back’s ability to play the role were eased as he put in a solid performance down the flank.

That was the one change to the side which had come so close to stunning Rangers last week.

It was a scrappy start, and the home side were first to threaten. John Sweeney netted a superb opener in the corresponding fixture last season, but this time when he struck from the edge of the area, Ryan Strachan was on hand to deflect the effort away.

Peterhead had barely registered as an attacking force when Winters gave them the lead after 20 minutes.

Paul Jarvie’s clearance saw Clyde’s centre-backs, Iain Gray and David Marsh, get in each other’s way. Marsh failed to get any distance on his header, and Winters, from 30 yards, lifted the ball over Barclay and into the net from 30 yards.

Marsh came close to making amends almost instantly, his header from a Stevie Masterton corner headed off the line by Dean Cowie.

And they had another chance when Stuart McColm crossed from the left for John Neill, the midfielder slicing his shot wide at the back post.

And yet, after 29 minutes, Peterhead were 2-0 up. Winters was again involved, the striker knocking a neat little ball into the feet of Jamie Redman.

The former Brechin man still had it all to do, but as he turned, he was caught by John Kane and referee Don Robertson wasted no time pointing to the spot.

McAllister, so cool in these situations, stepped up and stroked the ball low to Barclay’s left, the keeper diving off to his right.

The cushion that gave Peterhead seemed to spur them on, and McAllister could have doubled his tally when he brought the ball down in the area, but lashed his shot side of the target.

Five minutes from the break a dangerous bounce from Gilfillan’s snap-shot looked awkward for Jarvie, but the goalkeeper covered it well to maintain his side’s two-goal lead.

Captain Callum Macdonald was just inches from giving his side a third goal, his looping header coming off the post before being scrambled to safety.

There was an incredible let-off for Peterhead when Neill sent Stefan McCluskey, though on Jarvie’s goal, the ex-Clyde keeper beating away his first attempt before Strachan snuffed out the second.

McCluskey attempted to catch Jarvie out again with 15 minutes left, his snapshot forcing the keeper into a diving save low to his left.

As time ticked down, still it was the home side who were looking for that elusive goal to get themselves back in the game, but Neill twice failed to hit the second, the latter chance seeing him head wide of a gaping goal.

Although not a vintage performance, the Blue Toon had, after two games, matched their points tally for the first quarter of last season already. They now face a stern test at home to Queen’s Park, a side they have an up and down record against.

CLYDE: Jamie Barclay, John Kane, Lee Sharp (Gavin Brown, 64), Iain Gray, David Marsh, Trialist (Kevin Watt, 67), John Neill, John Sweeney, Stefan McCluskey, Bryan Gilfillan (Ryan MacBeth, 79), Stuart McColm. Subs not used: Paul Hay, Nick Rajovic (gk)

PETERHEAD: Jarvie, Smith, Noble, Ross, Macdonald, Cowie (Deasley 85), Strachan, Redman, McAllister (Maguire 74), Winters (Bavidge 62), McLaughlin. Subs not used: McBain, McCallum (gk).

Booked: None.

Attendance: 401