Latest Results

Peterhead 1 Clyde 1

Sun 22 Apr 2012

Although Peterhead can still mathematically qualify for the playoffs, a late header from Clyde captain Declan Gallagher all-but ended those aspirations with two games still to play.

In truth the draw was a fair result, but the Blue Toon will be ruing opportunities they passed up to build on the lead handed to them by Iain Gray's freak own-goal just after the interval.

Paul Jarvie continued in goals despite playing through injury in the 3-0 win over Stranraer a week earlier, the only change seeing Ryan Strachan return in place of the suspended Roy McBain.

However, it was the Bully Wee who started the stronger of the sides, Jason Marr and Gavin Brown both passing up chances in the opening five minutes.

They came within inches of opening the scoring after 14 minutes when Lee Sharp curled a free-kick off the inside of the post from 20-yards with Jarvie beaten all ends up.

The best Peterhead had mustered thus far was a Rory McAllister volley which flew well over the bar, but as half-time approached thy began to get a foothold in the game.

Jamie Redman flicked a header wide from Ryan Strachan's corner, before another Strachan cross, this time from the right allowed captain Callum Macdonald to beat the offside trap.

Macdonald seemed taken by surprise, though, and was unable to pull the ball across goal, Clyde keeper Nick Feely happy to pick up the loose ball.

David Donald sliced an effort wide shortly before the interval, but the Blue Toon went ahead shortly after the break.

Scott Ross carried the ball out of defence and combined with Craig Tully to send Martin Bavidge away down the left. He was brought down by Jason Marr, but referee Barry Cook allowed a good advantage as the striker squared for Bryan Deasley.

Deasley's low shot was fumbled by on-loan Celtic man Feely, and when Gallagher attempted to hack clear, the ball came off Gray and found the back of the net.

A defensive header from Bavidge after 69 minutes sent McAllister away, the striker holding the ball up well for Deasley whose shot moved in the air before being held by Feely at the second attempt.

McAllister himself had a chance after Marr failed to deal with Ross Smith's ball out of defence, but with just Feely to beat, the former Brechin man opted to take on the first-time shot, dragging his effort across the face of goal.

Tully was next to threaten, but the veteran failed to connect with his shot after pulling down Donald's cross from the right.

Peterhead had been forced to replace Jarvie with Ray Jellema at half-time and the goalkeeper had not been seriously troubled until Pat Scullion forced him into a diving save from a 20-yard free-kick with ten minutes remaining.

And in injury time, another set-piece led to the leveller. Brown swung the ball out to sub Kris Irvine on the right and his cross found Gallagher who headed home from close range.

PETERHEAD: Paul Jarvie (Ray Jellema, 46), Davie Donald, Craig Tully, Scott Ross, Callum Macdonald, Ross Smith, Ryan Strachan, Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister (Lewis Davidson, 81), Martin Bavidge (Dennis Wyness, 90), Bryan Deasley. Subs not used: Graham Webster, Shaun Robertson.

CLYDE: Nick Feely, Iain Gray,  Lee Sharp (Kris Irvine, 86), Declan Gallagher, Jason Marr, Gavin Brown, John Neil, John Sweeney, Michael Oliver, Pat Scullion (Steph McDonald, 81), Drew Ramsay (Ryan Kane, 72). Subs not used: Jack Sloss, Barry McCue (gk).

Booked: Scullion, Neil.

Attendance: 497.