Latest Results

Peterhead 1 Stranraer 1

Sun 12 Feb 2012

Jarvie saves from Steven Noble Jarvie saves from Steven Noble

Rory McAllister netted from the spot to earn Peterhead a point at home to high-flying Stranraer, as Jim McInally's men bounced back from losing a goal after just 54 seconds.

However, they had goalkeeper Paul Jarvie to thank for keeping them in the match after a string of first half saves, including a stunning triple save.

New loan signing Ross Smith had to be content with a place on the bench, Bryan Deasley starting in place of Dave Ross the only change from the defeat to Alloa Athletic.

But before they could settle into the game, they found themselves behind. Stephen Stirling was the architect, threading a ball between centre-backs Scott Ross and Callum Macdonald for Craig Malcolm to dispatch beyond the helpless Jarvie.

Malcolm was involved in the move leading to Jarvie's heroic triple-save. His cutback was touched on by Martin Grehan to Steven Noble, and Jarvie got down well to save his initial effort.

McAllister heads the ball ahead of Frank McKeown

The ball rebounded back to Noble who saw his second effort deflect off Macdonald before being palmed away by the keeper, who got up quickly to turn away Grehan's third effort.

The former Dundee United and Clyde keeper was called into action again when lax marking gifted Grant Gallagher space to line up a shot from Chris Aitken's short corner but he was again equal to the effort.

Peterhead finally registered a shot on target just before the half-hour as Deasley picked up on Frank McKeown's loose clearance before sending a low shot skidding across the turf and into the arms of David Mitchell.

Peterhead switched to a 3-4-3 formation with Roy McBain moving into a sweeper role between Ross and Macdonald, but Stranraer had another chance to extend their lead as the Blue Toon settled into the new system.

Stirling was again the driving force, turning Davie Donald on the right and slipping the ball in to the feet of Grehan. Stirling continued his run to meet the return pass but was denied by the feet of the outstanding Jarvie.

But the change in formation saw Peterhead begin to establish themselves, and they drew level three minutes from the interval.

Ryan Strachan spread the play out to Graeme Sharp on the left, and as he cut inside Scott Taggart, the on-loan Hibs man caught him with a trailing leg, and Stephen Finnie had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

Up stepped top scorer McAllister and he rolled the ball straight down the middle as Mitchell dived to his left.

The visitors had a chance to re-take the lead early in the second half as Malcolm's quickly-taken free-kick presented strike partner Grehan with a chance from 18 yards, but his effort was comfortably smothered by Jarvie.

Peterhead would press forward, though, and Martin Bavidge sent a powerful header narrowly over the bar from Sharp's left-wing cross.

And just before the hour, Gallagher was perhaps lucky not to direct a Donald cross into his own net, as he beat both Deasley and his own goalkeeper to win the ball, heading over his own crossbar.

For his part, Deasley was caught by the onrushing goalkeeper and looked a little dazed by the collision but was able to continue.

Still the home side pressed forward and it looked like McAllister would put them in front after Bavidge flicked on Macdonald's long ball. McAllister took it in his stride and rounded Mitchell, only to see his angled effort come back off the far post.

Jamie Redman followed up but his shot was blocked by McKeown, and Sharp eventually struck over from 20 yards.

They came close again when substitute Dennis Wyness' cross, Bavidge saw Mitchell push his shot on the turn over the bar for a corner.

Another sub, Dave Ross, charged down a clearance and swung over a cross from the right that was met by the flying McAllister, his header off target but a free-kick given to Stranraer as Mr Finnie deemed his low head to constitute dangerous play.

Blue Toon hero Jarvie had to be withdrawn from the action in the dying stages after taking a kick to the elbow in claiming a cross, and he was replaced by Raymond Jellema.

Jellema was called into action just once. Gallagher burst through the middle and slipped in sub Michael Moore who cut inside onto his left foot but his curling effort was pushed away by the replacement keeper.

The final chance fell to the Blue Toon, Donald bursting forward and laying off for Wyness on the edge of the area, but the veteran's lob flew over the bar as the scores remained level.

PETERHEAD: Paul Jarvie (Raymond Jellema, 86), Davie Donald, Roy McBain, Scott Ross, Callum Macdonald, Ryan Strachan, Bryan Deasley (Dennis Wyness, 72), Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister, Martin Bavidge, Graeme Sharp (Dave Ross, 75). Subs not used: Lewis Davidson, Ross Smith.

Booked: Macdonald, Strachan, Redman.

STRANRAER: David Mitchell, John Kane, Steven Noble, David Macgregor, Frank McKeown, Chris Aitken (Sean Winter, 68), Scott Taggart, Stephen Stirling, Craig Malcolm (Stuart McColm, 77), Martin Grehan (Michael Moore, 77), Grant Gallagher. Subs not used: Nathan Shepherd, Ryan Marshall (gk).

Booked: Aitken.

Attendance: 435