Latest Results

Peterhead 0 Clyde 0

Fri 11 Nov 2011

Ryan Strachan Ryan Strachan

There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for Peterhead as they recorded a second consecutive clean sheet to draw with ten-man Clyde.

Despite a squad so ravaged by injuries that an unfit Roy McBain sat on the bench alongside U19 players Shaun Robertson and Ewen Morgan, Jim McInally's men defended resolutely to battle out a 0-0 draw with Jim Duffy's side.

Garry Wood and Martin Bavidge were the latest additions to the injury list and their places were taken by Lewis Davidson and Dave Ross, the only changes from the side that had beaten Nairn County in the cup a fortnight ago.

And they were put under pressure early on by Clyde, with Raymond Jellema pleased to see John Neil head a Paul Hay cross wide when he really should have done better after just seven minutes.

The former Alloa goalkeeper kept the scores level when he spread himself to block from Steph McDonald after the striker had pulled down Declan Gallagher's long ball out of defence.

But still Clyde pushed forward, and after a Neil free-kick was blocked by Rory McAllister, John Sweeney saw his ambitious 30-yard effort deflect away for a corner.

It was 39 minutes in before Peterhead got a first sight of goal, Bryan Deasley exchanging passes with Ryan Strachan before seeing his left-foot shot blocked by the head of Lee Sharp.

Although Clyde could have opened the scoring through Gallagher shortly after the interval, it was clear Peterhead were determined to pose more of a threat, although their efforts were not helped by McAllister taking knocks to an ankle and then his head in quick succession.

He was forced off just after the hour to make way for Robertson, by which point Peterhead had begun to edge their way into the match as an attacking force.

Strachan saw an effort deflect tamely into the arms of Clyde's former Manchester City goalkeeper Filip Mentel, before Davie Donald hit high and wide on a foray forward down the right.

One of Robertson's first involvements was to play in Lewis Davidson, with the local lad slicing an effort narrowly over the crossbar.

But it was a neat move down the right which saw Peterhead create their best chance.Donald linked up with Dennis Wyness, and though the full-back's cross was cut out, the clearance fell to Wyness who stung the palms of Mentel. Still the danger wasn't cleared until Deasley had a low shot blocked.

And Deasley would be involved again as Clyde were reduced to ten men with five minutes remaining.

Hay had already been booked for a foul on Jamie Redman when he hauled back Deasley on the edge of the area, and referee Andrew Dallas was left with no alternative but to flash a second yellow.

Deasley's free kick was blocked by the wall, and the Blue Toon failed to capitalise on their extra man in the dying minutes, but will be happy to have earned a point.

PETERHEAD: Raymond Jellema, Davie Donald, Lewis Davidson, Ryan Strachan, Callum Macdonald, Scott Ross, Dennis Wyness, Jamie Redman, Rory McAllister (Shaun Robertson, 62), Bryan Deasley, Dave Ross. Subs not used: Paul Watson, Roy McBain, Ewen Morgan, Paul Jarvie (gk).

Booked: Deasley, Macdonald, Strachan, McAllister.

CLYDE: Filip Mentel, Iain Gray, Lee Sharp, Declan Gallagher, Brian McQueen, Paul Hay, John Neil, John Sweeney, Steph McDonald (Mark Archdeacon, 73), Liam Cusack, Michael Oliver (Pat Scullion, 76). Subs not used: Kris Irvine, Jack Sloss, Barry McCue (gk).

Booked: Gallagher, Hay. Sent off: Hay.

Referee: Andrew Dallas.

Attendance: 517